Sunday, September 10, 2006

Airplane/Flying High (or, It Just Used To Work Better)

A few weeks back, I mentioned to a friend, who was in Queensland at the time, that I had seen the film Adam and Steve and how delighted I was to see Julie Hagerty, whereupon the following exchange was exchanged:
-Who?
-You know, the chick from Flying High.
-What?
-Flying High, you know, Airplane
-Nah.
-You know, "Surely, you can't be serious... I am serious and don't call me Shirley"
-Nah.
-You know, "The white zone is for the loading and unloading of passengers only..."
-Nah.
-Come on, it is like, as popular as E.T., everyone saw it.
-Never heard of it!
Ladies and gentlemen, I had on my hands an Airplane virgin! I acquired the movie and the other night we sat down in front of the telly to relive (or live, as the case may be) this monolith of cinematic comedy. I was interested to see how it had weathered but also how it looked to fresh eyes.

I have to say, it was even better than I remember, and I am surprised my parents let me watch it at all. Many of the jokes were more gratuitously lewd than those reach cinemas today.

My favourite moments:

-Cream?
-No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.

-What's his problem?
-Lieutenant Herwitz, severe shell shock, think's he's Ethel Merman.
-
You'll be swell...

-It will help you better prepare foods for the up and coming monsoon months, also Tupperware products are ideal for storing leftovers to help stretch your food dollar.

-I've gotta go to the airport, you can let yourself out the back door. There's juice in the refrigerator.


Classic!

It is a silly humour, the sort that seemed to get lost in the eighties. Many have tried to resurrect it (Scary Movie, Hot Shots, Date Movie) but they just don't get the mix right. I know there are others out there who have seen this recently, why is it that these jokes are still fresh (the Airplane! virgin loved every minute). I mean, I loved Scary Movie but I doubt it will be this fondly remembered in a decade's time.

Tags: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without doubt, my favourite comedy of all time. (Even bettering both Mel Brooks' oft-neglected masterpiece High Anxiety and of course the brilliant Waiting for Guffman, which is saying something!)

 
At 10:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I love that moofie.

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

YES! I seriously love that movie so much. Is it weird to give it an A+ because I laugh constantly every single time.

The Ethal Merman bit is GOLD!

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Oh and one of the reasons it's still so funny is because there aren't so many pop culture references.

In 10 years nobody's gonna have a clue what Shrek is on about, but this will be forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home