Wednesday, September 06, 2006

In Her Shoes (or, Ah, JB, you've done it again!)

Being back in Australia means being near JB HiFi. Dangerous. It is a little vice of mine that I buy DVDs that I never end up watching. It is just that they are so cheap. Yesterday, I walked in after bumping into a mate who was on his way there. I had no intention of buying anything yet I walked out with Three Kings, Jarhead and In Her Shoes for only $10 each.

I missed In Her Shoes at the cinema, and on my plane trips. I'd only heard good things. I wasn't disappointed, nor was I bowled over. It is a solid flick with excellent performances and well drawn characters. It didn't play for broad laughs or overtly attempt to jerk tears. I respect everyone involved for that. Does that make the film forgettable? I'll have to watch it again before I make that call seeing as this time round the film was sliced rudely in two by a bad version of Macbeth, a film which I am loathing more every hour.

You know what, I think that I'll lump this one in with Spanglish and label the basket: "Films I Love To Love Because They Are Nice And Good". Films that marketers have trouble promoting because they are not comedies or dramas, they are just good. Good, good, good.

Yeah, you're right, I'm not in the mood for writing today... goodbye.

Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it first came out, I saw it with my sister, and it was perfect viewing for the mood we were in at the time: light without being mindless or silly, well-meaning without being full of the woes of the world.

Also I loved it because:

1) It's got Toni.

2) Toni plays a lawyer who finds a successful, rewarding career after leaving the law.

3) Toni survives the onslaught of her family's various dysfunctions, while at the same time, shedding kilos and becoming svelte and toned.

4) Toni jokes "so this is where all my ex-boyfriends come from" when she first sees the "Jerk Hut" restaurant.

5) Toni captures the heart of the cute jewish lawyer who has a passion for food.

and:

6) Any film that quotes Elizabeth Bishop and e.e.cummings' poetry is doing well.

(Finally, the hilarious elderly Yenta calls Cameron Diaz "bubbula", which is the nickname I always call my baby sis. Aww...)

Good purchase!

 
At 6:08 pm, Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, I really really liked In Her Shoes. You're right that it's just about good people doing good things. It was just ouside my Top 10 for 2005.

Oh, and JB IS addictive. I should go to the one in my town and see if IHS is $10 there, too.

I hated Spanglish though. Truly woeful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home