Friday, September 08, 2006

ACMI: TV @ 50

Wall Of Telly
I descended into ACMI's new television exhibition yesterday. It wasn't particularly inspirational. There was a wall of televisions, that was mildly interesting. Dexter was there, which was slightly diverting, but they hadn't bothered to turn him on so he couldn't give me any love advice. Our Sigrid's wedding dress from All The Rivers Run was there but she wasn't in it screeching her pseudo intellectual take on modern cinema so half the fun was already gone.

It was only when I was leaving that the exhibition came into its own. I noticed one of the small screens was playing the final episode of Man O Man. Go on, you remember that landmark of Australian television programming.

-So, who threw up on your jacket?
-Ken Done

I remember dreaming up excuses as to why the family should watch the first episode. I think I settled on something to do with seeing how sexist it was and that it was presented by Rob "Phantom of the Opera" Guest. It would have been easier if I'd just said, "Mum, Dad, I wanna watch the manflesh wrapped in Speedos." And probably more believable.

If you are really interested (and I know you are), Wikipedia has a run down of the show's format. Read the whole wiki and you too will be astounded to learn that the Man O Man pool survives to this day, filled with stale water and traces of old aftershave, under the set of Dancing With The Stars.

So there is still a chance of a revival then...

Tags: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:00 pm, Blogger Glenn Dunks said...

I reckon It's a Knockout was where it's at.

Oh, do u remember Keynotes? LOL. So bad. RICHARD WILKINS!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home