Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Comforting Warmth of Nostalgia


J.C. Leyendecker Scribner's Cover
Originally uploaded by Mamluke.


So today I have been taking a turn around the gardens of cyberspace (a term coined by William Gibson in 1982 (or was it?).

I stumbled on the flikr page of Mamluke by way of Boing Boing and their post on Towel Ads of the South Pacific.

Mamluke has collected a feast of images from Renaissance art through Sargent and movie stars of Hollywood's golden age to vintage photography from the 60s. I still gush at the warmth and texture of nostalgia. Like life wiped clean, only the sun-soaked valleys of golden wheat remembered. There is a lot of comfort to be found in those places, even if they never truly existed. Anyway, the hunt for these oft' remembered hills is obviously a labour of love for Mamluke and he has a keen eye for beauty.

He also has a partner, 2 cats, 1 business and a blog, Late Late Antiquity, which I am going to keep an eye on because I am sure it will be worthwhile. Besides, anyone who owns a book titled Uppity Women Of Shakespearean Times has my vote of confidence.

Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:23 am, Blogger Mamluke said...

thanks for the entry Mike! kinda freaky to read about yourself elsewhere :) Glad you've enjoyed my flickr collections - I've enjoyed putting them up!

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger walypala said...

Aw, thanks for your thanks.

 
At 7:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home