Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wildside Timewarp

Recently, when we were all waxing lyrical about Alex Dimitriades' turn in Head On a commenter commented commentedly about Wildside, which I still hold to be one of the most perfectly written, acted and photographed television series ever filmed. In reply, I mentioned that if it were ever released on dvd, I'd be the first to buy it. Then, in an effort spell her name right when I praised her excellent performance in the show, I did a search for "Mary Coustas Wildside" only to find that it HAD been released on dvd late last year, albeit unceremoniously.

True to my word, I rushed down to JB HiFi and purchased a copy. It turns out it is only the first three episodes (ridiculously priced at AU$40) but hell it was a trip watching it again. Masterful.

It brought back memories of moments watching the show when I'd be sitting up, almost grabbing the television, with tears streaming down my face. I can name few shows that managed to draw such finely human characters, all flawed, all tortured by their world, and yet all so incredibly endearing. Painfully endearing.

Of course, the dvd never got as far as Alex or Mary but the (almost) self-contained story of Bill's return to Sydney to find his son, who he suspects has fallen victim to a pedophile ring is superb, especially in the light of what was to come. Just the setup, the interplay between the police and the crisis centre, put Wildside in the unique position to be able to be "hard line" and "bleeding heart" on almost every prevailing social issue of the time.

On viewing it now, I was amazed to see two of our up and coming actresses (Abbie Cornish and Rose Byrne) had roles.

Back in the day, I was astounded to learn that Racheal Blake, who I thought was about 30 or 35, was only 25 (imdb can't confirm that but I have it on good authority from my ex boss' sister who worked on the set and who also claimed that Alex was gay and found it hard during the kissing scenes, take from that what you will). Wildside had a power to transform the ages of its cast. Just check out these shots (keep in mind that it is hard to get a clear snapshot because the camera work was so "handheld", as was the fashion).


I mean, Abbie convincingly played a teenager, eight years later, in Somersault (a must see film, sorry Ange) and Rose, although I think she looks younger than Abbie here, is was playing Brad's priestess of lurve, in Troy.

Freaky... or is it just me?

Tags: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:32 am, Blogger whatev said...

Decided to come back and say it: Wildside is bleak and everyone shouts a lot.

 
At 8:11 am, Blogger walypala said...

Exactly. My kind of show.

 
At 7:28 pm, Blogger skander said...

'ken awesome show amigo. I spent many a Monday 11pm watching Wildside back in the day. And again when it was repeated a second time. The BEST AUSSIE TV SHOW EVER! Rachel Blake! Reverend Bob! Dimma! Jessica Napier! Richard Carter! Virigina Hey! The whole lot of them, the dialogue, the way it was shot especially in the police station with people shouting over one another, the casting, the nature of the storylines. The show was perfect.

The critics hated it though — especially the Hun's Robert Fidgeon. I remember reading him saying its not being recommissioned as a highlight of the year, or thereabouts. Cunt. And just when they were getting to the core of the really long arc (like 2-series long) police corruption storyline, with the Roger Rogerson style character and the horse syndicates and, man, it was awesome. I never understood why

Sounds like a dud DVD though...

I still feel weak at the knees just hearing Rachel Blake's voice, though sadly she no longer announces for SBS. but I hear she's starring in a new show in the UK.

 
At 10:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel Blake and Tony Martin (Bill) are actually Husband and wife and I think they have relocated to the UK as there is a dirge of tv shows at the moment. If you love Rachel Blake then I'd suggest having a look at Lantana.

Why most people never watched this and preferred Blue Heelers is beyond me.

It took years for shows like The Secret Life of Us and the new Tripping over to embrace the gritty style that Wildside pioneered.

Superb show from the ABC and with notable mention to the younger actors such as Rose Byrne, Abbie Cornish and Paul Pantano.

Alex isn't Gay though many would like to think it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home