Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Gayest of Tears

"Stripes are in this season..."

I recently blabbed to y'all how I have taken to Bunburying through my iPod to see what is thrown at me. Yesterday it was a memory from days long passed.

As I arrived at the bus stop on Hoddle St. my iPod whisked me off to the coast of Maine with the song "If I Loved You" from Rogers and Hammerstein's Carousel (I told you my iPod could surprise).

In times like these I tend to regress back to my hyper-emotional days. Key triggers are musicals and Disney films... okay, only the musical ones, so I suppose it is just a musicals thing.

Still with me?

Listening to the song reminded me just how brilliantly innovative these artists were. In a six minute song, the two leads meet, fall in love and basically get engaged all through explaining how they don't love each other. It's lush, heartbreaking and had me quietly tearing up at the back of the bus. The true beauty of it all is that it is believable, or maybe that is just me. There's no happy ending so that sort of adds to the credibility factor.

I'll be tracking down the film version so you haven't heard the last of this yet... sorry!

Tags: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:40 am, Blogger MadeInScotland said...

Musicals, so are my life...OK. Let me explain. I'm not working in the theatre. But I love musical theatre. I go very ften, and often often over. I see the same thing time again.

I relate musical moments to events in my lfe. It's a multi- way thing. Someone will say something and I know a line which mirrors what they say. Or I relate a moment of theatre (ie song) to a moment in my life. Or I relate a song to my life.

I think you do to...? Did I read you right?

ahoj

(ps I got some stuff on blog about theatre I've seen...most recently Last 5 Years, Evita Ave Q)

 
At 12:47 am, Blogger MadeInScotland said...

ps, as I'm writing I'm watching Rent on DVD. For the 3rd time. I've seen Rent in London 4 times.

Favourite moments:

When Angel goes shopping with Collins, for new coat (from memory while listening to diff song)

You don't have to do this

Hush your mouth it's Christmas

I do not deserve you Angel, give, give, all you do is give

What's on the floor, let's see some more..

WITHOUT YOU

and when Roger is singing to Mimi at the end, and she dies...OMG, so many tears.

I often cry in the theatre too, at the same moments!

 
At 1:10 am, Blogger walypala said...

I was a huge fan for a long time but nothing has taken my fancy for years.

Did manage to catch my favourite, Sunday In The Park With George before I had to abruptly leave London.

There were others I was hanging out to see but they'll have to wait.

As for RENT, I take issue with the film but I loved the theatre production. Hope you're enjoying it (again).

I'm watching Derek Jarman's Sebastiane while trying to write a review for Look Both Ways, which my editor wanted yesterday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home