Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What's in a meme?

I've been memed. What the fuck does that mean?

No, seriously, leave a comment and tell me where they pulled that name from because I can't be bothered looking up the wiki.

Aaaaanyway, this little gem comes courtesy of Richard at the newly-christened Watts With Words? and says (and I quote):
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
Ladies and ladies, I reach next to my pillow and I present to you an excerpt from the (graphic) novel Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (luckily page 123 fell on one of the written pages):

We have labored (sic) long to build a heaven, only to find it populated with horrors.

It is the oldest of ironies that are still the most satisfying: man, when preparing for bloody war, will orate loudly and most eloquently in the name of peace. The dichotomy is not an invention of the twentieth century, yet it is in this century that the most striking examples of the phenomena appeared. Never before has man pursued global harmony more vocally while amassing stockpiles of weapons so devastating in their effect.
I'm actually really enjoying it. It is my first graphic novel and I am resoundingly impressed.

Now let's tag (and reveal my meagre collection of blog pals)...

Textick
blather blog
It's All About Me!
Codehesive.com

Tags: ,

5 Comments:

At 6:59 pm, Blogger D said...

But who watches the Watchmen?!

I'll have to lend you "Jimmy Corrigan" by Chris Ware...so incredible. (And with pictures too!)

 
At 8:40 pm, Blogger walypala said...

That's kinda the point!

 
At 1:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...the nearest 'book' to me is a branch newsletter.

First few sentences I can see:

We recently took our 3 children (ages 3, 5 and 8) to the Blue Reef Aquarium in Tynemouth and I have to admit I wasn't prepared to be terribly impressed. Now this isn't because I'm overly fussy (my husband might disagree!), it's just that we used to live close to the fabulous Blue Planet Aquarium near Chester. However, we had a surprisingly good time at the Blue Reef despite the fact that we went on a very busy Bank Holiday Monday.

It gets better the further in you get, I promise. There's intrigue, family feuds, forgotten love. Fascinating reading.

 
At 2:11 am, Blogger richardwatts said...

Let me know when you've finished The Watchmen, Mike, and I'll try and get you hooked on V for Vendetta, The Doom Patrol, or The Invisibles...

 
At 2:13 am, Blogger richardwatts said...

Oh, and here's your meme definition from Wikipedia.

"The term "meme" (IPA: [miːm], not "mem"), coined in 1976 by Richard Dawkins, refers to a replicator of cultural information that one mind transmits (verbally or by demonstration) to another mind. Dawkins said, 'Examples of memes are tunes, catch-phrases, clothes fashions, ways of making pots or of building arches. Other examples include deities, concepts, ideas, theories, opinions, beliefs, practices, habits, dances and moods which propagate within a culture.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home