Sunday, August 20, 2006

Oi, Is This A Dagger, Mate?

I don't bitch and moan... much... but since i've been back in Oztralia, I've found myself bitching and moaning non-stop about Bell Shakespeare Company. I don't know what it is about Bell that sets me off so badly. Perhaps it is my frustration at not having a solid and reliable Shakespearean troupe down here. Bell has such promise and almost always squanders it with aplomb. It is probably a case of so near yet so far.

It is teeth-grindingly frustrating.

But I've not come here to belly-ache; I've come to let you know that something wicked is this way coming. Next month, my new boyfriend, Sam Worthington, is starring in Geoffrey "Romper Stomper" Wright's film version of Macbeth.

You can check out the trailer over at the official website.

It probably smacks of hypocrisy, given that I have railed so vociferously against Bell's anachronistic theatrical updates, but I think cinematic Shakespeare needs that lift or they end up wallowing in the dankness of Eliza-Jacobean England. Of course, it can be done well (McKellen's Richard III) or abysmally (Ethan Hawke's Hamlet), and I think this one shows promise. I have some quibbles but my fingers are tightly crossed.

Tags: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:41 am, Blogger richardwatts said...

Sam. *drool*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home