Monday, April 03, 2006

Fuel Your "Mondayitis"



I told y'all I would be boring you with my penchant for morbid and depressing music. Well, I have decided that Monday will be the day I will play swapsies and change the music over. Actually, it will more than likely be Sunday but for most of you my Sunday is your Monday anyway so that is not a huge drama. Actually, you know me, it will probably end up being any time I can be bothered but don't worry, even if you don't get to hear it, it will be Monday that I will be beating myself up for not getting it done.

Aaaaaanyway, this week you have the chance to frolic gaily in these musical soundscapes:
Art Of Fighting: Come Around & Show Me - One of my favourite home grown acts. Not as raucous as their name might suggest, this four piece from Melbourne manages to pull together heart-felt and emotional themes and cram them into claustrophobic, obsessive rock songs. Ollie has the voice of an angel and I am left gob-smacked every time I see them live. I am sure I will be tomorrow night, I'll let you know.

Band Of Horses: Our Swords - I mentioned these guys a little while back. A masterful first release. They have managed to find an interesting sound and while it may not be unique, it certainly stands out from the indie-rock rabble.

Animal Collective: Grass - I don't like to blow my own horn about how crazy I am and with these guys I don't need to; I can let them blow their horns. All I have to do is recommend their music to people and I am crazy by association. Kerching!

The Reindeer Section: Cold Water - The superest of super groups. These guys are comprised of members of Snow Patrol, Belle and Sebastian, Mogwai, Arab Strap. If they make music and they live anywhere near Glasgow they are probably in this side project of side projects. I can't get enough of Gary Lightbody's voice and I think that he gets to shine here even more than he does at home in Snow Patrol.

The Books: Venice - I am really into these guys at the moment. Ecclectic and atmostpheric, The Books use old recordings and electronic beats to create some of the most irreverently textured soundscapes around.

I haven't put as many songs on as I did last week because I have upped the quality so you can actually listen to them.

If you like them, check out their whole albums at Amazon UK.

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home