Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Macrame My Love...


So I was pondering the elegance of del.icio.us and elbo.ws as domain names and it came to me that a wonderful domain name would be macra.me. Look, I don't know why. I have given up trying to reign in my thought processes. Aaaanyway, I ended up checking if the domain is available and I bumped into this fabulous gallery of macrame owls courtesy artist Bill Davenport.

Now, very few of you know this but I had, for many years of my youth, a boyish fascination with macrame owls. I desperately wanted one and the one that I wanted was on the back of my mother's Women's Weekly macrame book. To be truthful I cannot remember if I ever succeeded in having Mum tat me one up. I think the power of this story is all in the yearning.

Ahhh, macrame! The smell of that bristly yarn. The curl of the twigs harnessed as hangers. Will homecrafts ever reach the dizzying heights of the 70s again?

Tags: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:51 pm, Blogger D said...

I'm sorry, but as my crack-dealer would say "That's some freaky shit!"

Call me a modernist, but I hold close to my heart, the dichotomy that in this world there's craft
...and then there's art.

(After which there's Maude, but lets not get into that right now.)

 
At 12:11 am, Blogger richardwatts said...

The Devil finds work for idle hands - HE TEACHES THEM MACRAME!!!

 
At 1:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, there is no top level domain for .me(.) So Macra.me might have to wait... OK that's my geeky input for the day. Back to work.

 
At 3:50 am, Blogger walypala said...

Alas indeed!

There is .m(just about every other letter) but no .me.

I shall have to wait until I have another brainwave.

Oh well, we'll always have the owls.

 
At 8:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to like doing macrame. But I didn't get beyond hanging basket holders. Nothing as freaky as the owl... if only I had followed my passion.

Sigh.

 
At 8:58 pm, Blogger walypala said...

I never got to actually doing macrame. I was a bit of a crochet fiend though. It's still tatting.

I can't believe I chose to join the crochet club instead of sports in primary school. Anyone would think I was a gay boy or something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home