Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Apocalypto (or, Alotacrapto, sorry couldn't resist)

See Jaguar Paw run.

See Jaguar Paw fight.

See Jaguar Paw hide.

I know, it is my fault. I knew what I was getting myself into. Richard's reveiw was more than enlightening and already had me wanting to pluck my eyes out. But, a film is a film. I gave it a go.

I've seen Braveheart, which I loved despite the heavy handed direction. Yes, it was bloody, historically inaccurate and overly simple but it had some wonderful characterisation and, through that characterisation, some rousing cinematic set pieces.

I felt that Apocalypto was bloody, historically inaccurate and overly simple. All that, coupled with a complete lack of characterisation, left me feeling that I was watching a spectacle at the colosseum. Send in another extra to be chopped up. Send in another extra to ditch over the waterfall. Send in another extra to be mauled by a jaguar.

If you don't give a flying fuck about the protagonists, it is all just gratuitous violence. And watching violently bloody scenes hasn't interested me of late.

Everyone else seemed to enjoy it though. Then, action films have never been my bag.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you see that's the difference between us. I would think of Alotacrapto as being a devastatingly amusing piece of wit whereas you have the good sense and manners to apologise. God I'm bored. Lotsa work to do. Hmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home