Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How Much Damage Has Howard Done?

In the early 90s Keating made a concerted push to strengthen our economic and political ties with our neighbours and to locate our nation firmly within the Asia-Pacific region.

Howard, of course, set out to unravel all of that.

Why am I bothering to bitch about that now (especially when that "man" is the cause of so much more evil our country *cough* Hicks *cough* gay marriage *cough*)?

Don't worry, it is nothing if not self-serving.

I want an iPhone.



Or more correctly - I want an iPhone-loompa NOW!

I stayed up this morning to watch Steve Jobs' keynote at Macworld San Francisco and this device is truly revolutionary. It is stunning.



Music, video, photos, phone, email, real web browsing - all in one device. Elegant touch screen technology. Full OS X operating system. I love that Apple has surpassed even the most outlandish speculations people had put out there in the lead up to the announcement. This is going to do to smartphones what the iPod did to the Discman.

But it doesn't come Stateside until June (or is it July?), Europe until the fourth quarter and Asia until 2008.

2008. And we'll only be included then if Fuck-knuckle hasn't undone Keating's work.

On the upside, by that time they may have ironed out any kinks, upped the gigage to more than 8 and improved the battery life (or even a removable battery) because 5 hours won't cut the mustard.

If you want to be amazed, you can stream the Keynote speech from here.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 2:00 pm, Blogger cloudcontrol said...

Yeah it does totally look hot - a little scarily like a PSP with all that borderless black touchscreen-ness.

One quibble, however: only 2 megapixels? Oh Steve, you're not really trying...

 
At 4:49 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder how it will go as a phone in particular writing a text message on a touch screen. If that works then I'm in!

 
At 7:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you Mike!

I have just finished languishing in the heat, and watching the keynote.
And I want one!!!

2008 is the Asia release date. I can only assume that that includes Australia. Be pissed if it doesnt.

The extra time for extra gig and battery and troubleshooting will be worth waiting. Do you know if the frequencies mentioned are the ones we use?? (I am pretty naive about the workings of my phone, I only use it to ring)

I don't care about the camera being only 2 meg pix, but love the Contacts, widgets, calendar, bluetoothand WiFi connections.

I wonder if I had one shipped over, I could just change the sim card from my old phone?!?!?!

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger D said...

Mikey, I feel your pain.

Besides, aren't we "Oceania"?

And doesn't that future-underwater-world-sounding name suggest that we must have high technology gizmos BEFORRE anyone else? Doesn't it Steve? STEVE!!!

AGHHHH!!! (gurgle)

 
At 12:34 am, Blogger whatev said...

Yep, I want one of those too. I've only checked out their site's QuickTours but it looks hell of impressive.

Although I'm WAY left of centre, the Coalition's economic management has been good for me and everyone I know. And yeah, I know, it would've been a bit difficult to fuck up, considering the prosperity we're living through. But as a cashed-up bogan I have no complaints, except for the warmongering, gay marriage, Hicks, children overboard, detention centres and the mishandling of some detainees, a focus on nuclear over clean energy, sucking up to that mega-church...

I think I'll stop now with 'No Complaints, Except!'

 
At 3:37 pm, Blogger whatev said...

Just watched that clip.

Wow. Stunning.

Google did the best 'me too' presentation. Cingular needed a bypass for more blood flow.

My husband sang a tune, too. He's such a sport.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home