Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine (or, Miss little, Sunshine)

I really dislike American indie cinema. Let me just get that off my chest first. I find it unfocussed, unfunny and mopey. Wow, there is a large, tar-stained brush. I am being harsh. Suffice to say, I am not rushing to see much American indie stuff.

Little Miss Sunshine boasted Toni Collette and Steve Carrell so I could hardly say no. The trailer looked amusing, so I even went with an air of anticipation (by Calvin Klein). This movie is a gem.

It is the same old story, Proust scholar tries to top himself but fails, moves in with his sister and her disfunctional family, daughter of said family wins entry into beauty contest, roadtrip ensues.

Who gives a shit about story though, this is all about characters and situations and these are some truly human characters and some truly inspired situations. And funny. And sad. And uncomfortable. And ecstatic. Little Miss Sunshine has a bit of everything, just life life. If life were concentrated then boxed up, we could label it Little Miss Sunshine.

It has already made imdb's top 250 films of all time list and I wouldn't be to surprised if it sticks around there.

Highly recommended.

Dancefloor kissers everywhere agree that this is a funny movie. I should know, I asked one right after he finished watching it next to me.

Tags: , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on this film.

I thought it was a kids film because it came out with the school holidays.

But with your review, and the 4.5 stars from both David & Margaret, it is now on my schedule tomorrow

thanks to you and your kisser

 
At 8:54 am, Blogger walypala said...

And did I mention Steve Carrell is gay in the film. Probably one of the best depictions of homosexualityness on film. It was understated yet played for laughs, laughs that we'd find funny because they happen.

Well worth your while.

 
At 9:00 am, Blogger Gay boy comes to London said...

It's on in London, and now in my list as well, thanks to your post. Cheers for linking me.

 
At 9:54 am, Blogger walypala said...

That's cool man. You keep me in touch with the home I was supposed to be living in.

And now you can go down to Leicester Square and pay an arm an a leg to see a film.

Hoorah!

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger RC said...

interesting thoughts...i thought it was umm...alright, to mildly amusing.

The characters...yea, there a whole lot of fun...the girl, Abigail Breslin...she's great!

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home