Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Science of Sleep


I have a real problem sleeping with someone else in the same bed as me. It is not that I don't like it; I love it, it is just that there is rarely all that much sleeping going on.

I don't mean that in the nudge, nudge, wink, wink fashion, I mean that, well, my mind goes a wandering and when my mind goes a wandering, my hands go a wandering... you can figure out the rest.

I suppose I pester my bedfellows to distraction. It is a good distraction, but the poor guys do need sleep too.

And it is not a sex thing per se, it really is a mind thing. It is something similar to a fever. I remember once, in a fevered sleep I had to fix the entire underground plumbing system of Jigalong before I could sleep. Once when I was backpacking in Sydney I had to write an entire opera based on the Arthurian legends to the tune of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. My mind is like that. Most of the time there is nothing to feed it so I suppose I don't notice it but when there is a fever or a cute bedfellow, oh dear... Please buckle your seatbelts, this flight of fancy is about to take off.

Yes, it has been a problem over the last few days and it has probably been exacerbated by to my unsettled situation at the moment. In the middle of the night I truly believe all the shuffling and twisting and turning and cuddling is not my fault. It has something to do with swatches for a book of art prints or streaming video production. In the morning I see how ludicrous that is. It is not usually this bad. I am sure it will settle down.

Anyway, if I have ever warned you that I couldn't stay over night in your bed, now you know why.

Tags: ,

5 Comments:

At 2:02 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

I can't sleep with a new body in the bed for totally different reasons; it's such an unfamiliar circumstance that I tend to wake up every time the guy rolls over, or I roll over and rediscover him there. Bingo: sporadic and shallow sleep which leaves me tired and grouchy the next day. Luckily for me (not!) I hardly ever get to sleep with someone...

 
At 6:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, forgive me for reading between the lines.....but

Has the sleep issue occurred as a consequence of your kissing on the dancefloor last week? Or has your mind openned new/old pathways that cause you to toss and turn?

Or am I way off beam?

 
At 11:53 pm, Blogger walypala said...

You are correct, dancefloor kissing can have serious side-effects.

My great aunt got pregnant after kissing on a dancefloor.

Let's just say you are on beam...

 
At 1:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then i wish you great happiness, with a spoonful of envy...

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger walypala said...

And you know what they say:

"A spoonful of envy makes the..." We'll just leave that one alone, I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home