Thursday, October 05, 2006

Early Evening Gush: The Crane Wife


Another reason this day has been so blissful is that I have had The Decemberists' new album The Crane Wife on über high rotation. At least three of the songs bring an instant smile to my face and two make my feel a deep sense of inner elation. It is a superb album from the outset. Pitchfork has an extensive review for you.

By the time I reached the end not only did a grin split my face from ear to ear but I had a real feeling that the band had hit its stride strongly and assuredly. They know exactly what to do, how to do it and when to do it and they manage to pull it all together without it sounding like flat, cookie-cutter-indie-folk.

It is probably possible to hunt through the blogs of music lovers worldwide and piece together the whole album but I'll give you a heads up for my favourite tracks to save you the trouble.

The beautiful opener, The Crane Wife 3, is over at A Spacious Hole In The Ground.
Herohill.com has the rolling drums of O Valencia.
Bon Ton has Sons and Daughters, the album closer.
Finally, Pimps of Gore has the album's masterwork, The Crane Wife 1 and 2.

Tags: , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:32 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

Just picked up an imported copy of this from Polyester and am listening to it as I type - what a joy it is! Must also check out the new Sparklehore - have you heard anything about it yet, oh font of interweb musicality?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home