Monday, September 25, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada (or, The Princess Diaries III)

Last night, along with half the women and gay men in the inner city, we popped out to see Meryl Streep bitching it up in The Devil Wears Prada. It turned out to be a decidedly light-hearted, well acted, stylish bit of fun. I really enjoyed it. For some reason (probably Streep's presence) I was expecting something a little more weighty. I was glad it wasn't.

The cast was superb. Hathaway's BIG brown eyes threatened to swallow everything in their sight, Tucci was just the right side of overacting, Streep was, well, Streep and Adrian Grenier and Simon Baker-Denny (he'll always be Simon Baker-Denny to me) were there to pretty things up.

I was hoping for a bit more bitchiness, I haven't read the book but I've heard that they have played down the Miranda Priestly character in order to humanise her a little. I don't think she was fleshed out all that well but she served her purpose in the scheme of things.

Not wanting to sound too gay but the clothes were fantastic and they certainly managed to distract from the fact that Hathaway's character didn't seem to be having the crisis of conscious that everyone was telling her she was having. Workplace politics are evident everywhere and the evil decisions that had to be made here in the world of fashion publishing seemed a lot more like good business than treading on underlings.

Then again, like I said, The Devil Wears Prada is a confection. Watching this made me realise what every Failure To Launch and How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days is trying to be. It is a solid movie despite its fluffiness. Consider it recommended.

Tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home