Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (or What have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this?)

As soon as the titles came up for Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of oh-dear-what-have-we-done-? because what I remember of Pirates Of The Carribean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl (and it wasn't much) flashed before my eyes.

I liked the first film but I remember that half way through I was looking at the pretty pictures and watching my watch. The only thing that pulled in into anything remarkable was the presence of Cap'n Jack Sparrow. This was pretty much the same, except I was watch watching quarter of the way through. There are some pretty bits. Bill Nighy as Davey Jones perks things up; the CGI is fantastic and Nighy's acting shone through. There is lots of lovely scenery. And Jack.

On the down side, you could probably have the same experience playing the computer game. The film is pretty much a heap of setups for the first person gaming. There is very little tension in the piece because there is never really a sense that the characters have anything invested in their fates. It is just not tight enough, they have spread the goodwill pretty thin. Then, let's face it, these are films based on a ride at Disneyland.

Roger and I are rarely in agreement on films and we both walked out of this one appalled that we had wasted two and a half hours of our lives. Becks only got through twenty minutes of the film before she had to rush off to throw up. She got the better end of the deal! Margaret and David wouldn't agree so take our opinions with a grain of sea salt.

Go and see it, otherwise you'll be wondering what you've missed but when you walk out, remember Roger's words: "I'm very disappointed with films nowadays!", then rent Master and Commander.

Tags:

4 Comments:

At 9:22 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

So how are things going with Roger, anyway mate - it all good? I do hope so.

 
At 10:20 pm, Blogger walypala said...

Kicking along nicely.

We are going to Amsterdam in a few weeks time. That will be fun. We are also thinking of moving closer to the city so we can go out more.

Rog is not having any trouble finding work, which is good. He is having more luck than me anyway.

 
At 10:24 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

Amsterdam is a truly beautiful city. After one night in Paris I almost fled back there!

 
At 10:28 pm, Blogger walypala said...

I loved it when I was there last.

Last time it was their national holiday so the city was pumping. I am a little worried that I may be a little disappointed this time around.

I am sure I won't be though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home