Friday, June 02, 2006

World Cup Maaaaadnessssss


There is only a week left until all the fun kicks off and the hooligans kick heads.

And I still haven't a single ticket.

I sit back and try to get my head around how I could have been so lazy as to not have put in the effort of getting on the web page after flying the fuck over here. Then I remembered that I had tried and failed due to some masterly promotion deals.

Months ago, when I attempted to hand over my cash I was refused because I lacked a Mastercard. My lowly Visa wasn't worthy, since Mastercard was one of the major event sponsors. Bugger.

In my disgust, I forgot that I actually acquired a Mastercard when I opened my UK bank account. Now I am thrust into the fray, henpecking for ticket scraps. I don't like my chances.


This World Cup is shaping up to be a winner. Australia are in it and despite drawing the same group as Brazil (the world's number one team, in case you have been living under a cocktail umbrella) they could do us proud and get into the round of 26 (though it would be a push against Japan and Croatia).

My focus over the next few weeks is going to be eyeing up the players because I need to pick a Premier League team to follow next season, and what better way than to pick the cutest team. So far I am holding off from following Chelsea F.C. even though they grace the field with Joe Cole each match. Unfortunately they are a little too rich for my liking (plus I already follow Real Madrid, two super rich clubs would be an extravagance.)

So I will have my eyes peeled for those fit soccer lads and you should too, let me know which team's arses you think kick arse. Let the "games" begin.

Thanks to F.I.F.A. for the images. Don't sue me!

Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the love of Pelé, the last thing London, nay Britain, nay the World, needs is another bloody Chelsea fan.

You know the rich spoilt kid at school who used to get all the best Transformers? Or the one who's daddy bought them a BMW for their 18th birthday? That's Chelsea. They've just signed Andriy Shevchenko for £30m and German captain Michael Ballack on a free transfer but with a wage deal of £130,000 a week. And that's not all, they're still signing new players left, right and centre. They paid £21m for Shaun Wright-Phillips last year, and he promptly ended up as #1 bench-warmer. I don't have anything against Chelsea per-se, but the sheer weight of their cheque book is getting tiresome. They can pretty much get whomever they want, whenever they want.

That said, José Mourinho is possibly the most entertaining coach in the world. I love his narcissism and super-dry sense of humour, my favourite quote so far has been on Manchester United catching Chelsea in the 2005/2006 Premier League: I am serious. You are laughing but I am serious. I am more scared of the bird flu than football. What is football compared with life? A swan with bird flu, for me, that is the drama of the last two days. I have to buy some masks and stuff. I am serious. Maybe for my team as well.

Oh, and don't get me started on Real Madrid -- they're yesterday's Chelsea, not to mention the former fascist poster boys of Franco's Spain. Give me Barcelona any day -- Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o, and yes, they are the good old Republican team.

Anyway, that's enough ranting for the moment, I may add something constructive later. Maybe!

 
At 1:55 am, Blogger walypala said...

I know, I know. Chequebook teams are annoying, especially if they win all the time. That is why I am still holding off.

Thanks for the Wiki, too. It was good to see that the whole "fascist poster boys" thing was all down to circumstance and just a consequence of there success. Maybe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home