Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Robo-flattery

In the early hours of yesterday morning NNM was ambushed by a spambot, who proceeded to leave a flattering comment or three on every post I have written in the last month or so.

After recovering from my glee of having such an inflated (though illusory) readership, I launched my counter attack and initiated word verification on all comment posting.

Sorry, I know (most of) you are not robotic spewers of platitudes, and I know that it is a pain in the keyboard but it has now become a necessary evil.

Mwahwor.

2 Comments:

At 1:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you should see the volume of spam that Angela and I get on our sites. I think I average about 3 spams per day, whereas since Angela posts more than I do, she rakes in almost double that. I installed Spam Karma for Wordpress, which is awesome, and really does kill all your spam. It uses lots of little tests to determine whether something is spam, and while it requires human moderation, it is easier for the user, as there is no captcha word puzzle involved.

The cool thing about the Blogger captcha I just noticed though is the accessible audio file -- first time I've really seen an accessible alternative for captchas being used.

OK, that's enough geeking from me on your blog for now!

 
At 6:10 pm, Blogger walypala said...

I am surprised that I have been able to hold out this long with the word verification thing.

I hadn't checked what happens when you press the little wheelchair button. I thought someone was going to come out of the computer and chop off my legs.

There was another spam filter that asked users to pick pictures of cute pussy cats out of an array. Apparently computers are imune to cuteness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home