Sunday, April 23, 2006

Gig: Jaberwok/27 Groove @ The Troubadour 20/4/06

Paul and I caught up the other night to check out some psychadelic funk at The Troubadour in Earl's Court. Neither of us had any idea what either of the bands would be like; Paul just wanted to check out the venue and I was just tagging along. Luckily we were both presently surprised.

We walked in to find the headlining band being chastised for turning up too late to the venue and putting the other band out of whack. The "other" band didn't seem too miffed if you ask me. They played really well but the lead singer managed to bland everything down to the unmemorable so I cannot really describe their sound to you except to say they sound like a poor man's Catatonia.


Luckily she comes up a lot better on their recordings, which you can check out over at their My Space (Their Space?)

Jaberwok weren't lumbered with a colourless lead singer; they didn't even have one. Two saxophones took pride of place centre stage (honestly, one sax is a fancy, two are an extravagance) and a crazy attention-seeking keyboardist did he best to swallow the limelight.


The flyer on the table described the group as early Chilli Peppers meet Pink Floyd. I would agree with that, except for the Chilli Peppers part. All I know is they were tighter than a duck's arsehole and they were enjoying what they were doing. That is enough for me. They reminded me a little of the first time I saw The Cat Empire at the Prince Of Wales.

You can check their sound out at their website or their My Space. You decide.

P.S. Is it just me or is My Space quickly becoming as ubiquitous as Samuel L. Jackson?

Here is a bonus photo of me.


Tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home