Monday, February 13, 2006

Back from Homo-gay Paris!

Ahhhh, what a wonderful weekend!!!

I am now extremely tired and three stone heavier thanks to all the Nutella smeared crepes.

I won't blather on too much about it. Here are a few of my favourite bits.

This is how fast the Eurostar took us there.



I know it is not very interesting but I wanted to test out the video thing.



It was a lot colder over in France. We emerged into Paris at the Place de la Bastille where Lucy collected us. It was ace to see Lucy again. She has been studying in Paris for the past few weeks and is about to leave to go back to Oz (maybe).

We took it easy on Friday; just wandered the streets for a bit and wined on at Lucy's VERY expensive short term studio apartment on Rue de Lapp.

The next morning I took a stroll while the others slept. Paris is very peaceful in the morning.



I saw Notre Dame and the Pompidou then I wandered back, forced them out of bed and off to Sacré Coeur via Père Lachaise due to a momentary lapse in directionality. On the way we picked up some breakfasty delights and found out that a French grapefruit is called a pomplemousse. I love that word so.



We met up with Oscar but missed Jim in another bout of misdirectionality. Sacré Coeur afforded great views of the city and an appalling soundtrack thanks to a French busker butchering Oasis.



From there we wandered, wandered some more, tried to shop then went to sleep. We did our first Euro-Thai for dinner and it was actually quite nice. Different but nice.



And then we hit the town. We trawled the Marais for a decent club but they were all too small and crowded. I mean, people were dancing where they couldn't even stand up straight. We eventually headed back up to Lucy's end of town to a club called La Scene. Expensive to get in, even more expensive to drink, but it was a blast. We danced to the wee small hours and when it got too hot we disrobed, well, Lucy did anyway.



Much fun was had, much more fun than sleep. The next afternoon we woke up and headed off to see that tower everyone talks about.



Thanks to Lucy's friend Gwen we managed to queue jump and see it all in record time.



On the way back we passed by the Hôtel de Ville to see the ice skaters only to be mobbed by roller bladers on some sort of demonstration (love this photo BTW).



And that was it. Trip home and bed.

For ALL the photos you can go here.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:03 am, Blogger richardwatts said...

Bah, Paris. Apart from the dead Parisians in the catacombs, I generally disliked the place. You missed out on the dead people, Mike! Barbarian!!

 
At 1:27 am, Blogger walypala said...

Missed the dead people? I did nothing of the sort. They missed me. They have been dying (or at least lying in a state of continual deadness) to see me again since I visited them last time I was in Paris. You know I wouldn't miss out on something so delectably macabre. And yes, I would recommend the catacombs to anyone visiting Paris. Love hearts are prettier when made from the skulls of dead Frenchmen!

 
At 11:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure if this works... but pretty love-heart skulls. Mmmmm.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Europe2002\France\F115-7045-0~2.jpg

 
At 12:46 pm, Blogger whatev said...

Nutella smeared crepes? Bleck!

And that train speed is amazing; I'm guessing the cabin sound on that vid is true-as too. I crack up when the state govt. calls that new VLocity service the Fast Train. My old Alfa had a top speed the same as that train, and that car was an '86 model.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home