Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Science of Sleep (or, Take me at your word)

So, it was a couple of weeks back now but Andrew and I did catch Michel Gondry's latest, Gael Garcia Bernal vehicle The Science of Sleep. I quite enjoyed it for the most part but Andrew decided to use the luxrious surroundings of the Westgarth to catch some extra Zzzs. To quote: "I purposefully made myself comfortable."

And rightly so. The film did meander, and if that's not your thing it isn't the most enjoyable cinematic experience. Gondry has an eye for innovation but he obviously works better with a focused screenwriter at his side. The visual flair of The Science of Sleep wears thin after about half an hour and no substance steps in to bolster it. It would have made a pleasant short film.

Go, but don't expect a masterpiece.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home