Saturday, December 16, 2006

Eyes, Lies and Illusions @ ACMI


After such praise from Richard, and having an afternoon dangling, I visited ACMI for their latest exhibition. Eyes, Lies and Illusions promised to deliver a cavalcade of mind-bending illusions from the pre-cinematic age. And it did, but I’d seen most of it before so I left feeling less than whelmed.

It is a clever little exhibition, well curated, quirkily set out, but it is much more hands off than it needed to be. Part of the fun of these illusions it their ability to animate with the tug of a string or the flick of a finger and the countless “hands off” signs made it abundantly clear that the powers that be weren’t very amenable to that.

What does manage to shine through from behind the Perspex is the ingenuity of the human mind when it comes to creating diversions and the charming naivity of the human mind for being diverted so fully by such things.

Check it out but try to sneak in because it isn’t really worth the entry fee – you’re not living in the 18th century, you’re not going to be stunned.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:46 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

Cynic. I actually paid to get into this exhibition, which is rare for me, and I still enjoyed it, so there. *pokes out tongue and runs away giggling*

 
At 11:52 pm, Blogger walypala said...

Oh, come now, you can't call me a cynic just because I didn't like the exhibition.

I agree that some of the modern pieces were a bit spesh. I particularly liked the pile of rubbish that inverted.

On the whole though, I found it far too standoffish.

Then, I was in a bad mood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home