Thursday, July 27, 2006

Trailer Trash

Get ready, I am about to unleash upon you the greediness of my anticipation.

Look out, these filums are coming to a theatre near you. I reveal them to you here in all their trailery goodness (just click on the posterettes!)

Almodóvar's latest, Volver. Actually, I have already seen it and it is fantastic. Penélope Cruz and Carmen Maura are sublime, so is Lola Dueñas actually, and as always Chus Lampreave. Hell they won the best cast at Cannes so there is not much more to say. Carmen and Almodóvar haven't worked together for almost twenty years after he apparently invited Bibi Andersen to the Academy Awards instead of her when he was nominated for Women On The Verge Of A Nervious Breakdown. Well it was worth the wait.

Never seen any of Aronofsky's work but this looks fucking incredible. One love story set over three different time periods. It is supposed to be nigh on incomprehensible but, hell, we like a challenge, yeah? It has already garnered comparisons to Kubrick's 2001, which I love, love, love. Of course that is probably because it features a big ball that floats in space, so don't hold your breath just yet.

Children of Men just popped onto my film radar when I saw this trailer, sneaky little fucker. Love Julianne, love Clive, love Michael, love the idea, love Y tu mama tambien and Cuarón is the only director who has been able to make a halfway decent Potter film thus far.

Another film from freaky frenchy crackpot director, Michel Gondry. I'll have two servings of that please. If it is halfway as good as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I won't complain. The word on the Interweb says it is wackily romantic, so I suppose the signs are good. Plus it has the delectable Gabriel Gael Bernal in it. Hands up who needs more reasons?

Another version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Without Vanilla Ice? What are they thinking? I think they are thinking of going back to the original comics and putting the down and dirty slant on it rather than the all-American guff that they served up last time. Actually the reason I mention it is that Mako (you know, the wizard from Conan The Barbarian was supposed to be voicing Splinter. Unfortunately, he passed away last week.

For me he will always be remembered as the narrator of Sondheim's most experimental piece of musical theatre, Pacific Overtures. I still cry every time I hear Mako close the show with the words: Welcome to Japan; heartbreaking. Goodbye.

If you are grieving now, then let me take you to the next stage: Anger.

Why the fuck do fucking American film studios insist on remaking decent foreign films in English. I find it infuriating! Learn the fucking language or at least learn how to read the fucking subtitles. L'Ultimo bacio was a fantastic rollercoaster of a midlife crisis. It was like a snowball tumbling down a mountain steadily gathering momentum before it smashed into the forest. The Americans have managed to turn it into what looks like a dreary, monotonous sequel to Garden State. Why Sweet Baby Lord Jesus, why? And they have the gall to say it was written by them. Urgh!

Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:47 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

Festival time is the same without you. *sigh*

 
At 10:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't seen Requiem for a Dream?? I am shocked. Watch it NOW, so by the time I get home I can see you staring at the wall in a darkened room hiding your tears whilst trying not to slit your wrists.

 
At 5:22 pm, Blogger walypala said...

Festivals, festivals, festivals. This year is establishment year, next year: Canne, Sitges, San Sebastian, Venice, Berlin. Dreams, dreams, dreams!

Have you seen the line-up for Venice this year? Astounding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home