Sunday, June 04, 2006

Summer Is Upon Us (But Not Our Shirts)


Yesterday was a blessing (so is today actually). A sunny day in London. It has not been the first but it was definitely the best.

Rog and I called up Kellie and we strolled down to Chiswick by the Thames to feast on the summer sun.

I love Kellie because she is as elegantly unorganised as me. We said we'd meet up but didn't name a place. We both set out (from Acton and Hammersmith) and then realised our phones were run dry of credit. Because we are special people we bumped into each other on the street anyway (it is really much less likely than it sounds, seeing as we were all over half an hour's walk from our starting points and not in any identifiable part of Chiswick). Thank you S.B.L. Jesus.

We ended up strolling down the Thames and settling into a pub almost back in Hammersmith. The sun was bright and the glare was glancing off the pasty white British skin. As soon as the sun comes out over here, the shirts come off. Not that I am complaining.

The sun gives London a whole new look and an uncommonly friendly air. This of course could not improve the supreme nonchalance of British customer service. I'd describe the reaction of the cashier when I requested my burger well done but I'd really need to do an impression to do it justice.

Roger decided to welcome the summer in with a glass of Sabai, the new "taste of Thailand" drink. It claims to be a refreshing mix of Rosé and hibiscus flower but it tastes like West Coast Wine Cooler with a dash of red food colouring. All said and done, it is gay in a glass.

I collected my first sunburn for the year (because I tried to fit in by taking my shirt off) but then so did just about the whole of London. Riding the tube last night was like sitting in a convection microwave. If we could only collect it in a box and store it for winter.

Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:55 am, Blogger richardwatts said...

I noticed this trait of English men of whipping off their shirts at the first hint of sunshine when I was in London last year. Never have I seen more pasty skin in all my life! Admittedly some of the blokes looked fine with their shirts off, and I've never been that big a fan of tans anyway...

 
At 7:41 am, Blogger walypala said...

Did you hear me complaining?

Anyone? Anyone?

*grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home