Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Geeky TV Talk

I don't watch many TV shows (yeah, right). Okay... I do watch a lot of TV shows and I usually follow them with a rabid tenacity. Some I hang onto past their prime, purely for sentimental reasons. Some I hang onto because they still have kept that spark alive and manage to get the heart to race past the mounting implausibilities. And some I hang onto because they show a glimmer of promise. Well one of those has just dropped off the viewing schedule. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Hex and I want my money back.

What started out as the English answer to Buffy (but with added sex and gore) turned into some pallid turn at idiocy, with sex and gore. Sure it had lesbian ghosts, fallen angels, psychotic fairies and sex and gore, but it lacked plot development, any sense of character, and internal logic. Yes, all shows have difficulties when they are born. I put a lot of time into waiting for this one to bite its way through the umbilical cord but it never happened. Hex just never found its feet and I am now leaving it to stumble through life without me watching it.

On the other hand, the new look Battlestar Galactica took off with last night's episode. It is a rare moment in television when a show broadens its mythology so completely in just one episode (though Alias manages to do it at least twice each season). This moment took place back on the destroyed "homeworld" of Caprica, now under cylon control. Everything was told from the cylon perspective and religion, identity, cultural ethics and genocide were brought to the fore. Battlestar is setting itself up to tackle some really interesting issues in the coming years. Let's hope it lasts.

Okay, I've finished geeking now.

Tags: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crikey! check out the pneumatic breasts in the 'battlestar...' shot! *yikes*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home