Friday, February 24, 2006

My Own Private Mont Cristo

Yesterday I came up against my very first bout of ageism. It got me down a bit but I have decided (with a little help from my friends) to get up off the floor and get nasty. Korea-nasty!

The story goes like this. I have decided that while I am over here I am going to try to jump ship and work outside of teaching, the career I chose when I was young and impressionable. To that end I have been applying to jobs in the media/publishing field, which I think I would be quite successful in. Sure it is a stretch but I thought I may strike it lucky.

Then I got this email from the recruiter. It was either mistakenly (and stupidly) "cc"ed to me, or mistakenly (and even more stupidly) sent to me in reply rather than forwarded to the HR manager of the office where the position is available:

Really don't think I can do anything with this guy and he's probably no good for you either, being nearly 30 and an ex-teacher but didn't want to deprive you!

Hasn't this woman realised? 30 is the new 20! Her loss.

I have decided that I am going to become a big (though late blooming) success and then walk into her office and say something very witty and cutting (don't worry I have a few years to think it up).

I will get back to you in a few years to let you know if revenge really is as hollow as everyone makes out.

Tags: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:25 am, Blogger D said...

But aren't you "nearly" 31?

Hehehe...I ask ya, if you can't kick a friend when they're down, when can you kick them?! Tough love baby, tough love.

Seriously though, success is of course, the best revenge. (Although the occasional haughty bitch-slap comes a very close second.)

Rest assured in the certain knowledge that, while you will go on to a million greater things, she will always be a sad, pitiful recruiter, forever spiteful that she must constantly refer people to jobs far superior than her own.

 
At 8:44 pm, Blogger walypala said...

I have begun my quest for revenge. I went in to apply for some temp work yesterday and they sat me at a computer to do a little test on Word, Excel, PowerPoint and some data entry stuff.

I was completely rooted at data entry but all my other scores were off the planet apparently. She is going to look into placing me to do some temp work in some creative establishment. Let's play stepping stones!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home