Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Do You Shuffle?



When I first came to Melbourne, fresh from the desert, my sister took me off to Sumadayze, gave me a pill and laughed at my dancing. Apparently, I couldn't move my feet right.

I took solace in the fact that she couldn't either. I had an excuse though, I'd never been to a dance party in my life. I thought the flashy foot thing was a part of the "rave" culture the world over.

Now, many years later, browsing through Wikipedia, I am shocked (though not appalled) to find that it is not. It is a distinctly Melbourne thing. And it has a name.

The Melbourne Shuffle.

Of course, now with the help of S.E. Asian Uni students, the steady exodus of Melburnians to London and YouTube, the shuffle truly is global.

I've always wanted to learn and vids like this make it painfully tangible.

Now, where's my talcum powder?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:07 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Now if i did that, the Plasma would have been knocked over, the chair would have gone through the window and quite possibly a cat would have died.

Still it looks like a lot of fun!

 
At 9:18 pm, Blogger L said...

Hey, came across your blog after I googled photos of Chiswick Village. Saw you had some photos of a day you spent by the river in Hammersmith, and after checking my own diary, realised I was at The Old Ship that very day myself. Spooky! I'm also from Melbourne, 14 months into an open-ended visit to London. I've spent the past hour or so reading all your previous blog entries, and thought I'd comment - I have a blog myself and I know I'd just love someone to comment, so I am!

Anyway, your blog rocks. You write really well and I've been smiling and nodding at a lot of things you've mentioned, be it music, musicals or favourite actors!

What I really wanted to ask though, because your blog seamlessly moves from snaps of London to snaps of my beloved home city, is how you dealt with coming back?! I'm certainly not returning to Melbourne permanently any time soon, and I sympathised with your apparently forced return. It would break my heart to leave so suddenly.

What I'm afraid of, is that it won't live up to what I remember it being. I've found so many fantastic friends in London, and go out to so many fantastic places, that I'm really afraid I won't like Melbourne when/if I return. Any thoughts?

Be in touch!
Regards,
Lauren
costumier@hotmail.com
lola122782.blogspot.com

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger walypala said...

Look, Lauren. As much as I love London, and I know I will return there soon, there is nothing that compares to Melbourne.
Sure London has the proximity to Europe and the bands and the theatre and the nightlife but nothing can replace that feeling of actually belonging to a place.
I have lived in a few cities in the world, some of which I would effortlessly call home, and would happily return to, but Melbourne stands out as the place where I feel most comfortable. Not that I am saying comfort is the be all and end all, far from it, I would say that I would (and will) go back to London for the thrill of living in a city where I feel on edge and pushed to the limit constantly. But at the end of the day there is something to be said for knowing your surroundings, understanding your surroundings well enough that there is no tension in your day.
Enjoy London, I'll happily live vicariously through you, hell, I may even drop you an email when I am next over.
Cheers,
Mike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home