Sunday, June 25, 2006

I Wonder If St. George Is Cross?


I don't know what you think but to my mind this is a wonderfully striking image of England's striker. For better or worse, it effectively encapsulates everything about football and football supporters in this country. It is brutal but it is elegant.

It reminds me of the front of the programme for Bell Shakespeare's production of Henry IV I saw back in Perth in '99.

It seems not everyone is quite as impressed as me.

It is hanging over the M4 somewhere, which is near where I work, I think. I should try and check it out.

Maybe there will be some rabid Christians rallying around it with placards. There's a great night out!

Tags: ,

5 Comments:

At 1:19 am, Blogger D said...

I see the brutality, but somehow miss the elegance?

It seems like a yob from a post-match brawl, bloodied and pissed.

No doubt it's a successful ad though, garnering all this free publicity.

 
At 8:59 am, Blogger walypala said...

But there is also an ecstasy there. The jubilation of scoring. I think the hooligan element is the baggage we carry to it.

That's why I love it. They have taken an icon in the English flag and superimposed it on another icon in Rooney. The elegance comes in its simplicity. They have cleverly snapped the two together and, in the association, have managed to stir up a furore.

And it is so representative of the patriotism/nationalism that is foregrounded by the World Cup. From what I hear you are getting it back in Oz. Over here everything is buzzing with it. It is heart-warming and ever so slightly chilling at the same time. Especially when you think of the turbulent history many of these countries share.

 
At 8:59 am, Blogger walypala said...

Look at that... it is longer than the original post!

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger walypala said...

Ew!

 
At 8:19 pm, Blogger richardwatts said...

He's a scally. A ned. Not exactly sexy IMO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home