Thursday, March 08, 2007

Bread vs. Bag


Being breadless at home today, I decided to pop out for my first extremely local take-away lunch.

I live within spitting distance of Smith St but even that seemed too far away, so I checked out Roundhouse Roti. It looked appealing and it is only about thirty paces from my doorstep.

After my experience at Quashie's last year, I was really looking forward to noshing down on some roti. The bread here is all made fresh behind a shield of shatterproof glass.

I ordered a roti chanai to take away and settled in to watch the dough throwing. Seeing food prepared in front of you is always a treat. It gets the tastebuds excited.

They handed me my takeaway in a big brown bag. One of those thick, sturdy brown paper bags that you used to get in grocery stores before they discovered that every household in the western world had an undedicated drawer/cupboard that could used to store to plastic ones.

Unfortunately the bag was more satisfying than the food. The bread was fresh but rather tasteless. It didn't help that the curry was runny and a little bland.

Look, I don't want to rubbish the place. I am going to go back there and check out the dhal and the other dishes. I'll get back to you on that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home